Several people have asked me about my monthly meal planning, so I thought it would be a good idea to share my meal plan for June on the blog.
Since January, I have been meal planning for the month and it’s one of the best things I’ve done. This has saved me so much time and money! It’s a big priority for me to cook for my family and eat at home. As a working mom, we’d be eating out every night without this done up front. Along with the savings, it also important to me that the meals are healthy. I want Sarah to eat and taste lots of different things that aren’t covered in cheese, sauces, bread/pasta or processed canned products. Now, don’t get me wrong, we do eat those things, but only occasionally.
As I’ve said before, I don’t meal plan for leftovers, because we eat those for lunch. Also, in the summer, we are usually at the lake on the weekends, so I don’t meal plan for Saturdays. Friday is our night out, so that night is out also for no meal needed. So if you follow this, you’ll have to adjust the meals for your family. Just to give you an idea…in May…I bought everything I need for the month other than weekly produce and spent $276. For the WHOLE month!! Y’all this will save your wallet and your waist line 🙂
Hope you find this helpful!! 🙂 Happy, healthy meal planning!
Each week we have fish, chicken, and some kind of red meat (steak, ground beef, etc). For the other meal, I throw in pork, spaghetti…etc.
So for June the list of the sixteen planned meals are:
- Grilled chicken with two vegetable sides (see below)- 4 times
- Roasted shrimp with white beans and one vegetable side http://cristinaferrarecooks.com/2012/05/roasted-shrimp-with-white-beans/
- Steak and two vegetable sides- 2 times
- Grilled or baked fish with two vegetable sides – 3 times
- Spinach and feta quiche http://www.duchessoffork.com/2012/02/spinach-feta-quiche/
- Hawaiian short ribs with rice and one vegetable side http://www.marthastewart.com/863079/hawaiian-style-short-ribs?czone=f¢er=854190&gallery=274310&slide=863079
- Spinach salad
- Crockpot roast with carrots, onion and potatoes
- Grilled cheese (for a night I’ll be gone, but Dan will be home)
As I’ve said, I don’t buy processed foods like macaroni and cheese, pastas, etc except when I’m in a bind or need a quick meal. I also try to stay away from regular baking potatoes. Those are heavy and seem to me a lot like bread….Usually I go to the store or farmers market and just look to see what produce looks good. Here’s my go-to list of vegetable sides.
- Steamed or roasted broccoli
- Steamed haricot verde (sometimes I do this with mushrooms) http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/01/recipe-for-roasted-green-beans-with.html
- Roasted squash, zucchini and cherry tomatoes http://deliciousshots.blogspot.com.br/2012/07/summer-roasted-vegetables.html
- Roasted brussel sprouts
- Baked or roasted sweet potatoes http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/03/roasted-sweet-potatoes.html
- Roasted carrots http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/01/honey-roasted-carrots.html
- Boiled or grilled corn/corn on the cob http://www.marthastewart.com/352689/grilled-corn-cob?czone=f¢er=276948&gallery=274928&slide=35268
- Mushrooms and leaks http://www.marthastewart.com/315341/grilled-mushrooms-and-leeks?czone=f¢er=276948&gallery=274928&slide=31534
- Edamame and chickpea salad http://www.fitsugar.com/Vegetarian-Vegan-Protein-Snacks-After-Workout-16519560?slide=2
- Garden salad
- Roasted or grilled asparagus http://www.marthastewart.com/313604/garlicky-roasted-asparagus?czone=f¢er=276948&gallery=274928&slide=313604
- Grilled eggplant http://www.marthastewart.com/317065/hoisin-glazed-eggplant?czone=f¢er=276948&gallery=274928&slide=317065
- Sauteed spinach http://www.marthastewart.com/274928/quick-vegetable-side-dish-recipes/@center/276948/dinner-tonight#338294
- Roasted cauliflower http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/balsamic_parmesan_roasted_cauliflower.html
- Black beans http://www.marthastewart.com/314007/black-beans-with-lime?czone=f¢er=276948&gallery=274928&slide=314007
- White beans http://mywholefoodlife.com/2012/10/08/super-easy-bean-salad-2/
- Vegetable skewers http://www.ahintofhoney.com/2011/06/grilled-sweet-potato-and-vegetable.html